Goal 5: Housing Choice
Provide safe, quality housing that is accessible to residents of diverse ages and abilities, and that provides both rental and ownership opportunities.
- Coordinate with other local governments that have experienced success with housing incentives that could be implemented locally. (1-3 years)
- In accordance with Goal 11, develop a common set of regulatory and funding strategies for local governments, including (1-3 years):
- A menu of regulatory incentives to encourage affordable housing construction, improvements, adaptation, redevelopment, and preservation.
- Regulatory strategies for encouraging market-rate housing that is diverse and affordable to a broader range of incomes, including nontraditional options such as accessory dwelling units, “missing middle” housing, tiny homes, and mixed-use buildings; and
- Design standards that promote sustainability and energy efficiency, encourage healthy environments and lifestyles, and make it possible to travel safely and conveniently using walking, biking, and transit.
- Potential incentives for affordable housing development to incorporate additional Universal Design components or additional ADA accessibility in units (grab bars, roll-in showers, the types of handles used, etc.)
- Financial incentives to support affordable housing development
(e.g., TIF rebates; brownfields incentives; gap financing; etc.)
- Create enhanced incentives for developments that are permanently affordable (e.g., shared equity homeownership developments) to ensure the preservation of affordable housing. (1-3 years)
- Develop programs that can be used to incentivize/recapitalize affordable housing that is nearing the end of affordability periods.
- Provide “development templates” or pre-approved building and site plans for affordable housing to expedite local approval processes.
- Establish priority areas for investment and potential pilot programs to support the retention and development of affordable housing. (1-3 years)
- Explore consistent regulatory and process changes to simplify/expedite affordable housing development across jurisdictions. (1-3 years)